Welcome

As the song from Gilmore Girls says “So welcome to my little corner of the world”. It’s all about me and my crafting – focusing around my love for stitching and sewing along with anything else that catches my eye. So welcome, grab a coffee and happy reading.

Sunday 3 March 2013

Malvern Creative Craft Show

Hi Everyone

I thought I'd share with you my day at the Malvern Show. It's much smaller than the ones at the NEC, but as it's closer to home and as a friend had won two tickets, who was I to refuse a free ticket :-)

One of the main reasons for going was to do the workshops.

The first one was called Magical Effects and the basic concept was to use nylon organza and cut and fuse it with a soldering iron. It was great fun, although I did get a little muddled with my seams! Here is my sampler piece...

The top right was made up using 6 strips of organza and they were cut and fused to form the patchwork. The bottom left was made up two organza squares with organza confetti sandwiched between the sheets and using a metal template the flowers were cut out with the iron. A third organza square was added to the bottom and then the flowers fused back on in the centres. Here is me working on my piece at the show.

The other workshop was with free motion embroidery. Now I'm a bit nervous of things like this, My machining skills are very limited, but my friend Vickie wanted to do this workshop so I decided to go for it. I'm so, so glad I did as it was great fun. We were using felt to make an aplique piece and here is mine.


There were die cutting machines with bird and flower templates and basically we had free reign with the colours and how we laid our piece out. I loved the teacher Jan Linnet's advice - one wobbly line looks like a mistake, two is a design feature, so each shape was sewed round at least twice! Good thing really as my lines were very wobbly. I'm planning on turning it into a cushion for my stitching corner, and will be getting a free motion foot for my machine.  Not bad for an hours work!

Although I didn't do a workshop, I did see a demonstration for friendly plastic and brought a kit.

Here are some of my first attempts. I did it as soon as I got back from the show.


So here is the stash I brough...Felting tops and Angelina


A couple of Mouseloft kits...

Fat quarters, labels, buttons and a little kit to make a quilted needle book (bottom right)


I had a fab day and best I now get saving for the next one!

11 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great time! I really like your applique pieces, it looks really nice. Can't wait to see what you'll use all that stash for - is the quilted needle book the elephants and giraffes design? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great day and that felt applique is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely everything you made, especially the felt embroidery! So impressive. Lovely stash too- can't wait to use my fabric- and what a perfect mouseloft kit, giraffe, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fabulous, I love the effect of the organza pieces

    ReplyDelete
  5. sound so much fun..felt applique is so pretty..
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great new stash! Looking forward to the NEC one coming up soon :) Mii x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an exciting way to spend a day, I love your felt work, such a pretty design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds and looks like a productive day :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a lovely day Kerry. i love the things you made. The friendly plastic looks amazing.And your free motion work is beautiful. I love the little birds.The colours in the magical effects piece are gorgeous. Lovely crafty goodies too ^_^
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. that workshop looked really interesting - that's the problem with the NEC, they don't have workshops (I don't think, maybe I've jsut not noticed them!) I bought Friendly Plastic at Harrogate in November and STILL have not given it a go! must get it out...

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, sorry, published too quickly! Your FME is gorgeous! that will make a lovely cushion, nothing to be afraid of!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. :-)